What is "fervent prayer"?
The word "fervent
" means to have intense feeling and enthusiasm for something. We come across this word in the book of James, when the writer uses it in the context of effective prayer - "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."
(James 5:16, AKJV).
James is making the point that praying with passion and intensity is an important part of seeing our prayers answered - we are not to just simply go through the motions of prayer. It should also be noted that this is not the only element - for it is the prayers of a righteous
person that are effective. In the previous sentence James has urged the believers to confess their sins to each other "so that you can live together whole and healed."
(James 5:16 MSG) So being open about our weaknesses with one another and God will have an influence on how effective our prayer life will be.
A Fervent Prayer For Healing
You are our saviour
Taking all the sin, hatred, illness and death
To the cross.
Rising from the grave, victorious over all the earth.
We receive your healing,
Believing that your power carries ultimate authority.
We leave this illness at the cross,
And walk freely healed and restored by
Your amazing grace.
(a sample fervent prayer for healing from www.lords-prayer-words.com)
• click here for prayers for physical and mental healing, including a short article on the accounts of some of the remarkable healings in the Acts of the Apostles.
Celtic Prayer of Faith
I arise today
Through a mighty strength:
God's power to guide me,
God's might to uphold me,
God's eyes to watch over me;
God's ear to hear me,
God's word to give me speech,
God's hand to guard me,
God's way to lie before me,
God's shield to shelter me,
God's host to secure me.
Brigid of Gael, (c.451–525)
a famous prayer recorded in the Old Testament that God answered:-
If we are to pray with passion, it's important that this is real and from the heart. Indeed, Jesus cautions about praying just to look impressive. Here's five ideas that will lead to an increased passion in your prayer life:-
• remind yourself of answered prayers. Recalling God's faithfulness to you will increase your level of faith and expectation.
• remind yourself of God's promises for you. There are over fifty of them in the bible! Read them and recall them when you are praying.
• make friends with people who are passionate about Christ! Their enthusiasm for their faith will have an infectious effect:-
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." (Proverbs 27:17, NIV)
• spend time in worship and adoration of the living Lord. When we adore God we see the worries and cares of this life through a different perspective.
• spend time alone with God. If it was important for Jesus - how much more important is it for us?
Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
James 5:16, (AKJV)
A cry from the heart for the awakening of lives to the living God, useful for intercessor prayer times:-